[modeleng] Re: Winson 14XX

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:21:02 -0000

Hi Clif

Thought so.  With the wheels clear of the track it is quite common to get a
knocking sound.  In normal use, the weight of the loco is taken by the
axleboxes resting on the axles.  However, with the wheels clear of the
track, the axles will be running on the underkeeps.  This means that there
will be a clearance between the axle and the axlebox crown.  Once on every
revolution, the axle lifts due to the thrust of the piston and produces the
knocking noise that you heard.  I've seen/heard it many times with engines
running on air.

Regards
Ron