[modeleng] Winson 14XX

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:29:19 +0100

Hi All,
My Winson 14XX still has the ability to confound.
Whilst sorting out it's steam tests and the blow from the valve gear there was
always a "boink" whilst running.At first I thought it was a bigend and did find
a bit of play in one.I fixed that but the knock was still there.I next checked
the other big end,took up a minute bit of play in that but the boink still
carried on.On checking again I found a bit of play in a little end,made a new
pin for that but the noise still went on.
Now at last I think that I have found it.
Winsons design only seems to give about a total clearance of about 15 thou for
the piston at the end of the cylinders.This has the net result that if the
assembly of the piston rod to the crosshead and con rod to the big end is  7
thou out at either end of the stroke,the piston hits the end cylinder covers.
I think that even the momentum of the piston or it bit of play in the bearings
would also allow it to do it.
I suppose that when I was testing the chassis on air,because of the noise from
my compressor I did not hear it.

Modifications are again in hand.
Oh boy,am I getting good at taking this loco to bits.

Regards

Clif