[modeleng] Vari-speed motors

  • From: "shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Modeleng" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:31:15 +0100

Hi all!
Sorry to rabbit on and on about my construction of this little lathe.

Now that various kind and clever friends have given me a variety of ideas
regarding the boring of the headstock of this little lathe, I am able to
proceed with detailed design.   I notice that a variety of small lathes and
milling machines are now offered with vari-speed motors.   If I could use one
of these, it would simplify the headstock design, as I could then have just one
pulley instead of a cone of pulleys.   This single pulley could perhaps be
designed for use with a tooth belt.

I am totally ignorant in the world of these vari-speed fractional hp motors
(mine would be quite small - say 1/10 hp).   In the old days, you had to use a
DC motor, or a three-phase motor to be able to vary the speed.    But I believe
that in the brave new world of electronics, an ordinary AC motor can be adapted
to vari-speed without losing torque at the lower speeds.

Any ideas?   Thank you in advance!

Cheers!   Hubert