[modeleng] Re: Vari-speed motors

  • From: "Charles & Dorothy Brumbelow" <cbrumbelow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 06:41:31 -0500

I don't know what you mean by "ordinary AC motor" Hubert -- split phase or a
variant thereof I suspect.  If that is what you are talking about, those
motors all operate at some fixed fraction of being syncronous with the AC
line (mains) voltage.  A two pole in North America is usually in the 3500
RPM range -- 60 cycles per second less slippage, a four pole is 1750, for
example. (Yes, I know Hertz is the new word for cycles; it just doesn't seem
right.)  So any electronics to vary the speed of such a motor must do it by
varying the effective frequency fed to the motor, and must control the
current to maintain torque and minimize heating.  Permanent magnet motor
with converter controller might be the better choice for a small motor.
Probably much easier to find and less costly, at any rate.  Charles