[modeleng] Re: Shaft pulley retaining

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:55:38 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012, Clifton wrote:

> Clean the shaft & pulley with Thinners. Slide the pulley onto shaft just
> clear of it position, then run a bit of Loctite onto the shaft, slide pulley
> into position & rotate slightly to spread locktite.

...by which it might be worth clarifying: Clif is exactly correct...but
don't read into this that not cleaning your shaft would ruin the joint - I
think I remember reading that your bond strength only drops to something
like 80% with the shaft left dirty and oily because it works by crystal
growth in the gap jamming the parts together, rather than actually
sticking them together, and I have certainly almost come to grief with two
oiled parts which started to bond when a stray drop got onto them. Not
normally an issue (unless you are holding parts in the lathe whilst they
set), but you really don't want it running up the shaft to your bearings:
that could go horribly, horribly wrong!

Heating has been mentioned as a way of breaking the joint, but heat isn't
always good as we know. Apply enough force and it will crack the joint, so
if you have a means of making it so you can use a puller to get your
pulley off in the future, you might want to drill those holes in the
pulley now, just incase.

I'm pretty sure it is 601 BTW that I've used (though you might want to
check with someone else who isn't relying on long term memory) but the
last loctite rep I spoke to made it clear there were many alternatives
from their range which would do the job of fixing locomotive wheels on
axles, etc.

Have fun, and long may your engine still rotate!

Yours,

Rich.