[modeleng] Re: Screwcutting

  • From: "Shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:15:08 -0000

Hi Ron

In the little lathe I am building from scratch, I deliberately planned the
leadscrew engagement lever on the left (as in Myford).   My reasons are that
you are using the saddle hand wheel much more than the screwcutting lever -
so that the incidence of hot swarf is proportionately greater when plain
turning with the handwheel, than with screwcutting.   You pays your money
and you make your choice!

On the Emco 10 lathe, which I had before I got the Hardinge (which has a
very nifty screwcutting system) I used to reverse the lathe, rather than
disengage the leadscrew after each screwcutting pass.    I made a very
simple slide, which stopped the cross-slide at the exact previous setting,
after withdrawing, reversing and resetting.   I had a micrometer barrel
acting against this, with a ratchet with 'thou' clicks.    On resetting, a
few clicks and you were ready for the next cut - if you see what I mean.
This was far simpler to make, than a retracting device.
I may have a pic of this somewhere, if anyone is interested.

This system of reversing, instead of disengaging,  obviates any problems
with, for instance, cutting metric threads on an Imperial machine; and
solves the hot swarf problem!

Cheers!   Hubert