[modeleng] Re: Screwcutting

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:49:28 -0000

Hi Patrick

The retractable toolholder is a nifty device, but the only benefit seems to
be that you don't have to remember the tool setting at each pass.  You still
have to be quick to disengage the leadscrew at the end of the cut.

When I'm screwcutting, I like to make an undercut at the end of the thread,
for the tool to run into.  I also run the lathe at a fairly slow speed, to
give me sufficient reaction time!

Which brings me onto one of my big grumbles with the Myford lathe.  The
leadscrew engagement lever is on the left of the saddle, which means that
when you are holding the lever and getting ready to disengage, you have to
put up with hot swarf bouncing off the back of your hand!  Why they couldn't
put it on the right, I'll never know.

Regards
Ron