[modeleng] Re: Screwcutting

  • From: Allen Messer <al_messer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:31:30 -0800 (PST)

Eric,

What you have there is a thread pitch gauge and is
used to establish how many threads a screw contains
per inch, or in your cast, per metric measure.  When
grinding a tool, you need to use a simple gauge,
obtainable at a tool supply house, and grind the tool
bit tip to match the "notch in its side or end.  Then
when you are ready to thread, set the tip of the tool
in the notch with the length of the gauge parallel to
the work to be threaded, with the tip exactly at
centre height.  Then just preceed with the
proceedings---at slow speed of course.  Good luck.

Is there a club in your area where you could obtain
some hands on advise from some of the more experienced
members??

Al Messer
--- Eric Walker <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>