[modeleng] Re: Mico Mill Problems

  • From: "Lee Grant" <leegrant@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:30:24 +1000

I found this in the Yahoo Groups archive may help as the Mini Mill and the
Micro Mill are similar in design.

Lee

Subject:  Re: Tramming problem - Y-axis alignment
There are actually four places for potential adjustment on these
machines, one easy and three difficult. Unfortunately, they often
need one of the difficult ones attended to first. The thing to do
first is to check whether the column (Sieg calls it the "fuselage")
is actually vertical with reference to the table, in both X and Y
directions. Clamp either a good square or angle plate to the table
and attach an indicator to the head. Move the head up and down with
the indicator finger on the square or plate, in the X direction you
can adjust the column the usual way but for Y you have to shim or
scrape the mount. Once the column is vertical you can check to see if
the spindle is perpendicular to the table by sweeping the indicator
in the usual way. If the machine is out of tram at this point it is
because the head is skewed. The head on these machines is in two
parts which are bolted together without pins to keep them in
alignment. These bolts are only accessable through the back of the
assembly, which requires you to pull the head off of the column to
get to them. If the head is out of square with the table when the
column is truly vertical make the needed adjustments to the head,
mine was OK in X but needed .006 in shims in Y. I originally thought
it was the column that was off. Once this was taken care of
everything behaved as it should. Good luck.

Joe