[modeleng] Re: Adept/Super Adept lathes

  • From: "shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 09:58:07 -0000

Hi George

As Alan Stepney says, this taper will be unique.   I am very slowly, making
a small lathe from scratch.   I decided on 0MT for the mandrel and the
tailstock.
I turned the taper in the mandrel, using the topslide, and then reamed it
with a 0MT reamer (obtainable from Tracy Tools).

I would suggest  similar approach with your Adept lathe.  Having tightened
the headstock bearings sufficiently to avoid any play, carefully bore the
headstock, using the topslide set to the correct 0MT taper.   Finally,
support the taper reamer with the tailstock, and turning the lathe by hand,
ream out the last few thous.   This should give you an accurate MT taper.

You could do the same thing with the tailstock spindle, but it would be
better to chuck this in a four-jaw chuck on a bigger lathe, using a fixed
steady to maintain concentricity.

With regard to the 1/8 Whitworth grubscrews, I would suggest tapping the
holes to a slightly larger BA or metric size, and using Allen grub screws,
which are much more satisfactory.    Have these long enough to hold
locknuts, thus securing the setting.

Good luck with these amazing little machines!

Happy New Year.

Cheers!

Hubert.