[mira_talk] Re: MIRA 3 release candidate 1

  • From: Oscar Franzén <oscar.franzen@xxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:34:34 +0200

Thanks! Sounds like important improvements to me, I'm looking forward to try it out.

All the best,
oscar

Bastien Chevreux wrote:
Dear all,

well, I finally decided to go for a 3 as major version number ... even if it's still labeled "release candidate" :-)

There have been some major speed optimisations since 2.9.46 which should bring down assembly times in projects with several millions of reads (be they Sanger, 454 or Solexa). At least it does so for my projects. Memory management for Solexa reads (and unclipped 454 reads) has been improved and uses less memory.

Furthermore, hybrid assembly with Solexa reads has been smoothed out and fully integrated into the usual command line scheme. Before (since late 2.9.37 versions) one had to set quite a bunch of parameters correctly by hand, now the quick switch should perform almost everything automagically. And it's a lot faster than in previous versions. E.g. de-novo in 5 passes with 810k 454 and 3.3m Solexa in roundabout 12 hours instead of 1.5 days.

A number of additional convenience changes, bug fixes and small features are also present like, e.g., FASTQ is now understood by MIRA.

The new version has just been put online for download (sources and binaries): http://www.chevreux.org/mira_downloads.html