[minima] Re: Testing the digital board

  • From: "Mac A. Cody" <maccody@xxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 22:30:51 -0600

Jerry,

It is very likely that the radiono sketch is being hung
up by the attempts to read the Si570.  Every communication
from the I2C master (the Arduino) require an acknowledge
from the I2C slave being talked to (the Si570).  Since
the Si570 is not there, further processing in the sketch
is somehow hung up.  Given that the LCD is not displaying
anything, make sure that all solder joint are good and that
the sockets holding the ATMEGA328 and the LCD (if there are
any sockets) are not flaky.

What I would do is create a sketch that is as simple as
possible.  For an initial test, I'd create the following
sketch:

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
#include <Boards.h>
#include <Firmata.h>
#include <avr/io.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void setup() {
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
  printBuff[0] = 0;
  printLine1("Raduino v0.02 ");
}

void loop() {
}

I hope this helps.  From my own experience, getting a new
microcontroller board operational (Arduino or otherwise) can
be a taxing experience.

73,

Mac AE5PH

On 02/05/2014 08:40 PM, jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I finished building the Digital board except for soldering in the si570.
  I would like to test the radiono code and make sure I made the right
comments in the file so I don't fry the si570. I fired up the board and
all the voltages are good: 4.92 out of the 7805 and 3.24 out of the
LM1117, but I would like to run the code and check the 570's voltage.  I
uploaded the radiono sketch to the chip using a Arduino Uno board, and
put the chip in my Digital board, and powered it up.  All that happens
is the LCD backlight lights, but no characters. The contrast pot works.
The circuit draws 24ma but no display. Do I need to do something else.
There is another code file on github, what is that for? Jerry
K5LRU
Harwood, Texas