[macvoiceover] Re: can't add files to playlist in ITunes

  • From: Ray Foret jr <rforetjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:49:03 -0600

Hi,

I seem to have gotten the playlist issue solved.  However, when I went in to
the advanced tab off preferences to change the location of where my library
was, I still could not find my external drive; even after choosing "Ray's Mac
book Pro" which is where I believe it should have been.  Can't find it on the
side bar either.  I found it by tabbing, but, every time I try to focus on it,
the blasted ITunes Program hangs and I have to force quit and sometimes, a
crash report is generated.  I know I formatted the drive to Mac standards and I
know that the volume is there, but, I still can't browse to it.  The same thing
happens to me when I try to use:
www.sendthisfile.com

and I click the browse button to try to add a file to send.  Do I need to
change something in the finder view or options or what?  I just cannot seem to
get focus on that external volume what so ever from any program.

Sincerely,
The Constantly BAREFOOTED Ray!!!

Now a Mac User!!!

Phone:
+1 (985) 360-3614

E-mail:
rforetjr at comcast dot net

Skype Name:
barefootedray

On Dec 8, 2009, at 10:16 AM, Sam Troia wrote:

Hi, Ray,

From your message it sounds like you're importing files directly into your home
folder which is fine if that's what you want.  In my case though, since my mp3
library is huge (like 225 gigs), there's no way I could import them onto my
internal drive, besides which I wouldn't want to.

What I did was to tell iTunes in the advanced preferences that my library was
on the drive called My Book and the folder called mp3.  After that I just let
it import, but before doing that there are two checkboxes you absolutely must
be aware of.

The first of these is the absolute worst (in my opinion) and that is the box
that says "allow iTunes to organize your library".  If you're like me and have
built up an mp3 collection for many years in exactly the way you want it, you
must absolutely make sure this box is unchecked.  Otherwise, you will have the
worst mess on your hands that you could imagine.  There are undoubtedly those
who like that feature, but not I.  And if you should accidentally leave that
box checked as I recently did (don't ask), you'd best have a backup of your
music library as I did and do.

The other box you might want to check is right after the one I just mentioned
and says something like import music files directly into iTunes.  If you have
your music nicely organized on an external drive there would be no need to do
this.

Oh, one more thing:  iTunes really doesn't like music files without id3 tags.
Yeah, you can search for them but a lot of times you have to figure out
absolutely how and in the case of whole untagged albums, you'll end up
searching for each track individually.

hth