[macvoiceover] Re: Questions after playing with readiris demo

  • From: Tim Grady <tgrady@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:04:01 -0500

Who's judging. If you don't have sighted help, you don't. I don't think I made any comment about it, I was merely saying that if you did have sighted help you could have everything set up in 5 minutes. And as far as full accessibility goes, you have to do what you can, no one said you could do what someone else could do, just that it was possible to do what you wanted.

On Feb 12, 2009, at 3:40 AM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

Tim:
I live in a situation where I do not frequently have sighted help. Nor do I usually have a monitor for my mac mini though I do have the adapter to make the mini think it has a monitor with some applications. The help I have regularly is for my daughter who has developmental disabilities and I can't ask them to help me with computer issues on their pay time for my daughter. If my daughter isn't in need of help at a particular moment i might ask for help but I can't count on being able to do this and I try to keep such requests to a minimum. I also have a reader but she is a volunteer who comes at the most once or twice a month; this is adequate since I can scan my emails and do a lot of interactions on the phone or online. Yes, I do have friends, but when I have help for my daughter, I leave home to go visiting more often than I have people in.
So let me just point out:
(1) full accessibility means not needing sighted help;
(2) sighted help that might not seem any big deal to you might be a big deal to some of us; (3) it's always a good idea to refrain from judging people's motives (i.e.: pride) when you do not know peoples' situations.

I realize you did not know my situation and I am not trying to be unkind to you, but the fact that you did not know is exactly my point.

Thanks for keeping these points in mind next time somebody complains about something that seems to be a non-issue to you.

--
Cheryl