[macvoiceover] Re: Questions after playing with readiris demo

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 00:33:02 -0600

Most of the questions I don't have answers for.
However, the hot-key to recognize a loaded document is command-r.
It will pop up a box asking what to save the ocred file as, and it defaults to your documents folder. To load a document to be ocred, you'll need to use the command-o (or file-open) menu option. Again, you'll need to navigate to your scanned document, and select open. This process always works for me, though I'm not always able to read the output, sometimes, iris just has no idea what the heck is on the page. It's usually a result of fancy writing, dim/poorly scanned images, or (in the case of some pdf files) the text deliberately being smudged to make ocr difficult.
Generally though, if it's a decent scan, the results are pretty good.
I keep meaning to purchase a scanner to use with read iris, but I keep forgetting when I'm in a store that has them, I don't have any usb scanners, only paralel/proprietary ones, that's why i can't use the scan features of read iris. The printer that has the scan capabilities (well, we have two of them really) is connected to my wife's imac, and the other one is connected via ethernet, and isn't able to talk to the mini directly (no idea why)
So, there's the extent of my help on read iris pro version 9.
Hope it's at least a little useful.