[macvoiceover] Re: Questions after playing with readiris demo

  • From: Keith Reedy <wa9dro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:06:23 -0500

Jacob,

If you will write a guide, I will put it on icanworkthisthing.com and maybe we can get Josh to put it on lioncourt.com, that way you could just tell folks where to download your guide.

Keith Reedy

On Feb 11, 2009, at 8:00 AM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Hi
To scan with Read Iris, under preferences, change the image source from "file" to your scanner, which will be listed in the pop-up menu if the driver is installed correctly. There is also an image source button on the toolbar which will do this. Open will now function as scan. I know, these developers could seriously use some lessons on user-interface design. The hotkey to recognize a document is command-r. You can use automatic OCR, which will OCR each page as soon as it's done scanning, if you wish. As for your third question, give me a bit to write a guide or look back at the archives of both this group and the macvisionaries group. I feel like a broken record the number of times I've given instructions on how to set these two programs up to work together, honestly. Read Iris does do much better OCR than VueScan on its own, Vuescan has the simpleOCR engine integrated and it is certainly simple. It has almost no facilities for handling layout at all. Read Iris may have an odd user interface and pathetic scanning facilities, but its OCR engine is very good. If only Nuance wouldn't have left Omnipage Pro X collecting dust...

On Feb 11, 2009, at 01:09, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

I guess I must just enjoy adversity, because I decided to install the Readiris demo and have another go at it. I will forbear from mentioning all the little quirks of the installation process since they've already been discussed. Having had limited success following installation, I have the following questions:

(1) I realize that several people say they scan with vuescan. However, if one wanted to try scanning with readiris, how would one go about it? In the menus I can find an open but I can find no scan button either in the toolbar or the menus. Obviously I'm missing something here so could somebody tell me specifically how to get the program to scan?

(2) Once you either get readiris to scan or load something from vuescan or your hard drive, how do you get it to ocr? Will it do it automatically if you have automatic ocr checked or are there still steps you have to take? Also, to get the best ocr, what are those of you using it with vuescan using as the image or file type being fed to readiris? Ok that's three questions under the guise of one, but if I list and number them all, this is going to look like the long version of your income tax return and I'll probably be kicked off the list once people start to associate me with the IRS!!!

(3) If/when I get readiris and vuescan both working properly, and if I don't want to scan with readiris or can't figure out how to scan with readiris, how do I set up vuescan and readiris to work together. Since I haven't figured it out on my own, I probably need a pretty specific answer if possible.

Tia.

--
Cheryl

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
        --Douglas Adams