[lit-ideas] Re: small addendum to Matrix as philosophy

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:42:01 -0500

Donal:So perhaps this is not an example of hypocrisy from a 'literalist'
because
not an example of 'literal' interpretation at all, as judged by the
justification for this interpretation - 'Christians don't drink'.

Veronica: My point never had to do with hypocrisy.  It had to do with the
emotional need of the believer to pick, choose, twist and turn religious
writing until it is first emotionally comfortable and then suitable to the
point of view expressed.

Donal:Good Christians
don't drink alcohol? What about Jesus and the Twelve Apostles? If this is
said to beg the question, what about so-called 'altar wine', which contains
alcohol on a simple scientific test? Or beers brewed by Christian monks,

Veronica: According to the views of the young person in question, Jesus did
not drink wine nor did the Apostles.  They drank grape juice.  The alcohol
content of Eucharist wine is explained by the fact that they are the wrong
kind of Christian.  That is, not right thinking Christians.  Surely you are
aware of this type of thinking.  It seems to exist in most religions.

Christian monks who produce alcoholic beverages are Catholic.  My young man
was a Protestant, of which we have hundreds of varieties here.  Re the Cana
wedding, Jesus' action would still be a miracle if he turned water into
grape juice.  So my young man was still taking the event as a miracle.

Veronica

Mail to make your dream a reality.