[lit-ideas] small addendum to Matrix as philosophy

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:46:03 -0500

>If you were a Machine Master of the Universe, this would be a child's
>elementary school science project on the lines of those "volcanoes" kids
>make out of papier mache.
>
>That would explain a lot.

I was watching a discovery channel program the other night (CSI was in a
commercial) and they were talking about how the human ear works. It got me
thinking about the whole design vs. evolution argument. In "Darwin's Black
Box" Michael Behe argues quite eloquently for a 'biochemical challenge to
evolution' and in the process, describes the incredible complexity of
things in nature that 'must have been designed'. Watching this little
program on the ear got me thinking that yes, the auditory complex of the
modern mammal DOES look like it was designed. But not by GOD. It looks like
it was designed by a 4 teams of engineers who got together AFTER they did
their individual modules. If we WERE designed by a superpowerful thing, why
did he make things so complicated? Why not just make us BE!!! This is the
+PRIMARY+ objection I have to "intelligent design". It just doesn't seem
too intelligent. The ingenuity is marvelous, but most of that ingenuity is
to correct for the bad initial design (like in real life engineering
projects) which have too much invested in them to scrap. The R&D and things
that are kept in make us work really looks to me like blind chance.

Any comments?

paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx