[lit-ideas] nameless celebrities?

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:43:43 +0100

I discover that Potiphar's wife, wicked seductress of Joseph, actually has a
name and it's Zuleika.  The Bible gives her no name, but Persian legend
obliges, it appears. An aggravating discovery, since she was one of only
four famously anonymous people I can think of at the moment. Two others are
also from the Bible - Pharoah's daughter rescuer of Moses and the Good
Samaritan. The only non-Bible case I could think of is Coleridge's "person
from Porlock", he who interrupted Coleridge's recording of his Kublai Khan
vision. Why can't I think of more cases?

Moribund of brain in rain-soaked Tunis, Mirembe