[lit-ideas] Re: nameless celebrities?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:23:11 -0800

on 2/28/05 5:44 PM, Robert Paul at robert.paul@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> David Ritchie wrote:
>
> The most famous nameless person, at least among British lawyers of a certain
> age, is "the man on the Clapham omnibus."  He surely deserves a novel of his
> own even if it must be titled, "Diary of a Nobody."
>
> Professor Ritchie toys with us. He's waiting for some gullible
> literalist to point out that this title is taken.

Two thoughtlets:

1) Is not the most famous nameless celebrity in the bible g-d?

2) "Diary of a Nobody" is on a list of books that I have owned a long time
but never finished.  I wonder if august subscribers to this list would enjoy
naming "that which has proved unreadable," the work they have owned longer
than any other unfinished book?

Good wishes to Julie.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon