[lit-ideas] Re: Back to parenting and politics

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:54:34 EST

In a message dated 2/28/2005 3:14:25 AM Central Standard Time,
mccreery@xxxxxxx writes:
I, too,  have a daughter and her
upbringing was very much along "nurturant parent"  lines. She, too, is a
very persuasive person who never had to fear  punishment for trying to
give a good reason for  something.

HI,
What about consequences for decisions?  If you had a good reason for  it (or
even 'just' a reason...)   What about when those decisions are  selfish or
mean?  (but I did/didn't do it because...)

What about the issue of 'entitlement'?  How does this play into a  nurturant
family?  (I am also thinking of Bush's social security reform--he  failed in
many businesses and if he had not had family friends to continue to
invest...what would have happened to him?  No real consequences for failure
for him,
unlike many of the people I know...or is it that he was from a  nurturant
family
and thus was able to continue to try without fear of  failure--and 'matched'
to those who would help him?  That is one thing that  bothers me about his
rhetoric--he has not clue as to what it is like to stare at  the ceiling and
not
know what to do to be able to survive...but was it that  those who are in that
situation were raised in other families and thus are not  able to have
hope/belief/whatever it takes to get out of their situations?   Or is it that
their
situations are really rough and it *would* take a 'helping  hand' [but none is
available]?)

Thinking more about this model,
Marlena in Missouri