[lit-ideas] Re: jelly bracelets

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 20:04:54 -0700

I wondered.  I asked my daughters.  No hint of this in one middle school and
one high school here.  So I went to the web site.

I quote:

What do sex bracelet colors stand for?

Note: The VAST MAJORITY of people who wear jelly bracelets do not consider
them "sex bracelets". The idea that middle schoolers are wearing jelly
bracelets and having sex is, as far as we can tell, a media myth. Sex
bracelets are something used and enjoyed by adults.

The color code for sex bracelets seems to vary according to location; purple
may mean anal sex in one city and holding hands in another. We've listed
some of the most common meanings for sex bracelet colors, submitted from
sources across the U.S. Possible alternate meanings are listed in
parentheses. If you have doubts about what a color means, ask someone who's
wearing sex bracelets in your local area.

The media describing a "problem," creating a problem?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon