[lit-ideas] Re: jelly bracelets

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 23:28:04 EDT

Yeah -- I would have believed this if I hadn't had my 10 year old explain
them to me and tell how her friend ripped hers off, broke them, and threw them
at
the little boy-snapper, saying "I don't have to do *anything* unless I want
to!" (little feminist in the making).  My husband said he would have thought
the note "principal paranoia" until Elena told him her grade school experience.
Julie
<<The VAST MAJORITY of people who wear jelly bracelets do not consider
them "sex bracelets". The idea that middle schoolers are wearing jelly
bracelets and having sex is, as far as we can tell, a media myth. Sex
bracelets are something used and enjoyed by adults.>>

========Original Message======== Subj:[lit-ideas] Re: jelly bracelets
Date:5/9/2004 10:08:20 PM Central Daylight Time
From:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent on:

I wondered.  I asked my daughters.  No hint of this in one middle school and
one high school here.  So I went to the web site.

I quote:

What do sex bracelet colors stand for?

Note: The VAST MAJORITY of people who wear jelly bracelets do not consider
them "sex bracelets". The idea that middle schoolers are wearing jelly
bracelets and having sex is, as far as we can tell, a media myth. Sex
bracelets are something used and enjoyed by adults.

The color code for sex bracelets seems to vary according to location; purple
may mean anal sex in one city and holding hands in another. We've listed
some of the most common meanings for sex bracelet colors, submitted from
sources across the U.S. Possible alternate meanings are listed in
parentheses. If you have doubts about what a color means, ask someone who's
wearing sex bracelets in your local area.

The media describing a "problem," creating a problem?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon