[lit-ideas] Re: book nausea

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:53:50 -0500

If I hadn't written "even though I know that small scale changes are
meaningless" right in front of it, I might consider talking to Donal about
induction.  The weather changes and variations will happen as they always
have.  Last winter (according to my oil company) was 16% colder than
average with some places experiencing 33% colder than average.  It occurs
to me that the operative word is average.  I wrote down on the calendar
when my pipe froze.  It was December 14 when it went to something like 8
below zero.  But in January it was in the 50's, so overall the average was
colder because of the minus 8 but the winter was pretty mild.  The summer
was way hotter than average even in places like Minnesota.  In fact,
extremes of temperature are one of the symptoms of GW.  There is absolutely
no doubt that the earth is getting warmer.  We're now with global warming
where we were in the 60's with cigarettes.  No scientist disputes it, but
the oil companies deny it and even willfully promote more pollution, and
it's the oil PR that people think is true.  No one would smoke if the
cigarette companies even today didn't convince the most vulnerable that
it's glam.  It occurs to me that oil company executives are like
adolescents who take up smoking, as if the future will never get here, as
if it's somebody else's planet/body they're destroying.