[lit-ideas] Re: Why Philosophy. (Was: On Nip Thievery)

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 05:34:03 +0200

On 7-Jun-08, at 8:36 PM, John Wager wrote:

The first year I taught philosophy, a student committed suicide over Christmas break, leaving behind a note saying that his reading of the Phaedo (done in my intro philosophy class) had convinced him that a "better place" awaited him. ... His death disturbed me greatly, but I saw that the consequences of getting philosophy wrong, or not taking it seriously, could literally be deadly. The opposite would also have to be true: Doing philosophy well might "save" someone from various kinds of death.

Who was it who claimed that reading Kant *prevented* him from committing suicide? (It was not that he was convinced by Kant's prohibition of suicide, but relieved by his solution to problems generated by contemplation of such notions as eternity and infinity.)

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany

P.S.: My first draft of this message had me writing: "Who was it who claimed that reading Kant *prevented* him from committing *philosophy*?" !!!

-cb