[lit-ideas] Re: Why Philosophy. (Was: On Nip Thievery)

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 14:36:10 -0230

Such are surely but minor inconveniences to be tolerated for the sake of
spreading the philosophical point of view across the globe. I recall that when
I was at Phil's early stages of careerdom, I had to teach for a summer in
Regina. Regina is a desolate city engulfed by mountainous terrain in a province
of Canada called "Saskatchewan." (I can't now recall what the name means.
Anybody?) No lizards or bugs, but just lots of Regina.

Assessing all cities on the standard of Montreal,

Walter O.

P.S. Since my holiday continues and I am all ausgechessed and
ausgetabletennised, I offer the following question:

What is the role of philosophy in these postmodern, internetized, globalized,
multicultural, post 9/11 days? Why do we continue to teach this discipline? Is
it for its relevance to contemporary problems and issues, or is there a
timeless, intrinsic worth to philosophy independent of any promotion of
interests and consequences for states-of-affairs in the world? (Note how your
answer to this question influences how you go about teaching philosophy.)

All of us who work in the discipline have made significant sacrifices in order
to contribute to the philosophical literature and/or to help others develop
philosophical skills and dispositions - sacrifices similar to, if not identical
with, sharing living quarters with lizards. We all, surely, have our "lizard"
stories. But what is it that motivates you to pursue and promote this
discipline? ("Discipline" here not simply as a distinct scholarly form of
inquiry and analysis but also in the Greek sense of a way of life, an acquired
and educated attunement to the world, others, and oneself.)