[lit-ideas] Re: Where philosophy hits the grass

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:35:53 -0800

On Nov 7, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Paul Stone wrote:

You know, sort of linking it like back by referencing something to lighten the mood in the 100 acre wood.

One of my favourite quotes:

"When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it." (AAMilne)

This is how I often feel when I read what I've written, especially after other bears with somewhat bigger brains respond.

Play more soccer, is my advice. From today's "Writer's Almanac," "[Camus] studied philosophy in Algiers and tended goal for the university football team — the sport we know as soccer. He wrote later, 'All that I know most surely about morality and the obligations of man, I owe to football.'"

David Ritchie,
alas, no longer a player