[lit-ideas] Re: Pinch Michael Moore's Millions

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 14:34:33 -0500

>> 'tribal talk', as I have tried to argue/show, is also an artefact of white power, of the power of the group whose identity politics is invisible.

That old worn Gramscian notion of master narratives oppressing alternative narratives IS ITSELF one of the main enslaving narratives of our times.

Global corporations bow to it ... they offer sensitivity training to promote group rights, say, Lesbian-group sensitivity, which offers protections to the group of Lesbians even as it takes it away from individual Lesbians. An individual more and more can only claim protection under a group umbrella rather than as an individual. It is enfeebling.

That people are groups, must be seen as members of groups, instead of as individuals ... is the tribal talk of a new fascism, not the relic of a master narrative. You have yet to convince me otherwise.

>>please don't go on about the race card.  It's ugly.

No it's not. It's essential. For starters, it's not a "race card." It's a claim that Gramsci's no longer pertinent to our current state of affairs. It's a claim that groups and subgroups and sub-subgroups will not sustain a progressive culture, but merely retell Babel without the proud tower.

Who benefits from race-based thinking? Those who would divide. Those who would control. Those who earn a living from advocacy. If the recent election has shown anything, it's that the master narrative thesis is bogus.