[lit-ideas] Re: Where politics hits the grass

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:52:59 -0500

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Exactly.  Don't attack the message.  Attack the messenger.  Thanks for the
> illustration Paul.

The world "SUCKS" as you say, because of people who do nothing. People
who sit around the kitchen table in their privelidged world and think
themselves incapable of affecting change. I'm attacking the messenger
because your message is meaningless and hyperbolized in almost every
way and that is because of the way it is constantly, repeatedly,
constantly, repeatedly thrown at us like we don't already know. In
some sense, you're preaching to the somewhat agreeable choir, but the
message has been received, loud and clear -- and it has become
over-wrought, bitching. It's almost like Julie says, "you WANT the
mushroom cloud" to come so that you can say -- "see I told you so".

I for one hope you're wrong. I hope you never get to tell me you told
me so. And, I'm kind of optimistic that you won't. So, in the parlance
of our future rulers, STFU! Your message is clear, your deliberately
combatative, absurdist, nihilism is trolling.

p.s. Judy and David can argue whether there are too many commas in
that last sentence.