[lit-ideas] Re: Whattcha readin'?

  • From: "Torgeir Fjeld" <phatic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:56:21 +0100

Trying to reread Carl Lange by Kjell Askildsen but can never get past the first
paragraph:

When my wife was alive I thought she would leave me with more space. Just
consider her underwear. It fills three drawers. I can put my copper coins in
one, matchboxes in another, and corks in a third. As it is now it's a complete
mess. And then she died. It's a long time ago. She was a demanding person.
Peace be with her -- she finally gave me peace. I emptied drawers and shelves
and cupboards of what she had left behind and ended up with lots of empty space
?- more than I could make use of. So I knocked down two closets, but was left
with an emptier room instead of two empty closets. It was quite thoughtless of
me, but, as I said, it's a long time ago. I was much younger then.

Anyway.

Torgeir F