[lit-ideas] Re: Reading other people's books

  • From: "carol kirschenbaum" <carolkir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:52:15 -0700

My pre-summr reading? Just finished two novels by an old flame. The flame
itself died in the 70s, whereupon its human incarnation decided to write
novels and get married a couple of times, no doubt all as compensation for
the loss of my erotic, youthful companionship. And his.

I seem to be spending an inordinate amount of my reading time, nowadays, on
books by old someones. They're churning 'em out, in defiance of encroaching
mortality, I guess. And I feel obligated to keep up, as a
somewhat reluctant devotee of nostalgia. It seems a better way of keeping in
touch than dropping an e-mail.

Carol