[lit-ideas] Re: WSJ -- Ode to Oil -- thoughts?

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 23:15:26 -0000

So as I was saying, I haven't read one person on the mailing lists supporting despotic middle eastern regimes. Sure it's easy to provide narrative/legendary evidence for Venezuela, I admitted as much, but for Iran? I don't believe providing evidence for Venezuela supports Levy's point that people on the left are active in their support for such middle eastern regimes.

What I have found is a good degree of sectarianism centred around a group of leftist positions dating back to the seventies and eighties. Depending on positions held - Marxist, Leninist etc - the particpants will hold positions and sentiments that favour certain nations or states and these positions are sometimes held in isolation of the realities. Thus nations like Serbia or Venezuela will garner support regardless. I don't generally agree with such positions.

But I have not read any posts that show support for fundamentalist religious regimes such as Iran. So, does opposition to the policies of the Bush administration necessarily mean that those proponents support, say, Iran or Saddam? Is it logically sound to argue for the opposing position.

Cheers

Simon