[lit-ideas] Re: WSJ -- Ode to Oil -- thoughts?

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:31:11 -0800 (PST)

Apologies accepted. The more important point was the second one; the use of
'nation' and 'state' an interchangeable seems to posit that the interests of
all the individuals in a nation-state are identical and pursued in a uniform
way, regardless of social class, political affiliation, ethnicity, religion,
gender, age etc. But of course there are many traditions of political thought
(both leftist and others) that don't accept this. For example, the Marxist
thought has traditionally seen the nation-state as representing the interests
of the capitalist bourgeoisie in the state, and these interests have been
thought to be opposed to the interest of the proletariat. Again, libertarians
might see the bureocratic apparatus of the nation-state as having interests of
its own and hindering the interests of the business and so on.

O.K.