[lit-ideas] Re: WSJ -- Ode to Oil -- thoughts?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 00:17:18 -0500

Omar: The more important point was the second one; the use of 'nation' and 'state' an interchangeable seems to posit that the interests of all the individuals in a nation-state are identical and pursued in a uniform way, regardless of social class, political affiliation, ethnicity, religion, gender, age etc.

As one who lives in a union of two related states, you are in a unique position to comment on the issue and the complexities of the exchanges of competing interests.

Yet we do often have to speak of groups, no? Our blood is a vast chaotic equilibrium of interrelated border guards, nutrients, scavenger cells, and defense systems, nourishing and defending. Nevertheless, physicians can identify healthy blood, blood engaged in immunity struggles, and various forms of blood disease. This may be a facile analogy but it does suggest that we are all simultaneously individuals and parts of groups; even anarchists have names and they are anarchists "somewhere" (whether in 19th-century London or modern Kashmir).