[lit-ideas] Re: WSJ -- Ode to Oil -- thoughts?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:40:16 -0500

>>the US is often the worst culprit and will seek to re-shape the battlefield and dislodge the players for its own ends.

In the fullness of time, the US will no doubt lose its "worst culprit" status and the world will have a new Worst Culprit. The claim about the US is merely that it is for the moment the most powerful of the players, and therefore capable of worst culpriting in energy-based havoc.

Our bad. Someone else's bad later.*

Wind generators are great. In the 1980s, my father used to have an orchard in the Pennsylvania countryside. One of his neighbors had a wind generator. That guy powered his farm with wind power and sold the excess electricity to the utility company. Back then, the law forced utility companies to purchase excess electrical production. Sometime during Clinton's reign, lobby groups managed to overturn that law. Now -- or at least the last time I investigated -- utilities are not obliged to purchase an individual's excess production. Let's see if Lama Obama reverses that bad law.

Eric

_____
* Post-Iraq, what if ages hence the world faces a truly malevolent nation that combines great oil resources with great military might? Some countries of the Middle East already have all sorts of child-indoctrination techniques already in play -- children educated in martyrdom and the need to exterminate all Jews, little cub scouts of jihad and religious war to the end. Plus there will always be nations and groups willing to sell weaponry to these totalitarian regimes. What then? Will the world work together in mutual self-interest to "reshape the battlefield"?