[lit-ideas] Re: Virility and Slaughter

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:59:03 EST

In a message dated 2/2/2005 1:21:52 PM Central Standard Time,
libraryofsocialscience@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Any by the way, often the Generals and leaders were slaughtered  as
well. We're talking about something deep and disturbing, this  profound
psychopathology of war.

Hi, yes.

(btw, we do tend to go off on very interesting tangents  here...<g>...I
definitely understood why no one really answered the  question as to why it is
'marvelous' to send people to their well-ordered  death--and why they would
(seemingly) blithely go even though it (surely?) would  have been obvious that
there
was no ultimate victory to be had no matter how  many went.

I had lunch today  up at one of our very northern branches (in our  three
county area).  The fairly new restaurant is below what is now the  National
Silk
Art Museum.  The fellow has been collecting silk art for  years and has so so
many pieces. (the Louvre and the Smithsonian have both made  bids for it...)
As we were chatting, the owner (collector--really)  was showing us all his var
ious pieces and talking about each one.  He gets  alot of military folk in
his restaurant as it is so close to Fort  Leavenworth--the Army War College,
etc.  During one of the 'nation-wide'  planning meetings that was held there
(he
told us), he was showing some pieces  to one of the generals there--silk art
pieces (made of 'hole punch technology)  which had been made during WWI...and
they were of cathedrals--the ones which had  been bombed ... He said that the
cathedrals were being used to house  communications--and once the Germans
figured it out and began to bomb them,  things shifted--both in terms of
disrupting
communications and also in terms of  demoralizing those they were fighting.
(He also said that the general  mentioned that his son was in Iraq and had
written him that they had followed,  to a Mosque, a boy who had grenades
spilling
out his pockets--and since  they had a policy then of not going into the
mosques, they let him go...   Shortly after the talk he had with the general
[the
owner said], the US began  entering mosques in Iraq...)

Why DID this general think his obedient troops were marvelous?    I could
understand a bit better if it really were for the ideals we espouse so
much--freedom, liberty, justice for all and all of that <g>--but there  seemed
to be no
reason other than to watch them die.  If there had even  been a remote change
for changing the outcome of the War (if not the battle),  then I could
understand such sacrifice...(might not agree with it, but at least  would
understand
it...)

(and, thank you for saying that there were generals, etc. who also went on
such missions with their troops -- at least I can respect them for their
leadership care even if I wonder at their intelligence...)

Pondering the State of the Union as well,
Marlena in Missouri
PS  Where I had lunch--in case you are ever in town (it was quite  good):

CHARLEMAGNE'S
616 Thomas Street
Weston, Missouri 64098
(816) 640-2608
_caperssc1@xxxxxxxx (mailto:caperssc1@xxxxxxx)

Charlemagne's Champagne & Wine Bistro is located at 616 Thomas  Street, in
historic downtown Weston, Missouri. Enjoy a casual, comfortable  dining
experience in a unique setting which combines exquisite artwork with  great
wine and
delicious, yet reasonably-priced, classic Italian, French, and  German cuisine.
Owner/operators John and Venessa Pottie derived much of their  inspiration
for the décor and menu from medieval European history and art. The  menu's
diversity reflects the expansiveness of Charlemagne's Frankish Empire,  while
the
décor of the restaurant features the largest privately-held collection  of
French silk tapestries - original works of art created using the handloom
punch-card weave technology invented in the early 1800's by Joseph Maria
Jacquard of
Lyon, France.

Charlemagne's is currently open Tuesday  through Sunday for lunch, from 11:00
a.m. to 3:00 p.m., and Wednesday through  Saturday nights for dinner, from
5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Private parties and  special functions are available at
the restaurant other times during the week.  For information about
Charlemagne's wine club, specialty party nights, or art  club activities, call
(816)
640-2608.