[lit-ideas] Re: Virility and Slaughter

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:36:42 EST

In a message dated 1/31/2005 11:30:55 AM Central Standard Time,
libraryofsocialscience@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Why  didn't Generals alter their battle strategy
when it was evident that what  they were doing did not work?

Hi,
Where is Lawrence Helm when you need him?  <wry look>

I mean...let's talk about this!

I find it fascinating.  Ookay...granted, that is distancing myself  from the
emotions of wondering about the children left behind, the fact that the
person in CHARGE did not enter into the march forward--and why NOT????   What
is
leadership anyway??  We were talking about today about how  wonderful it is NOW
that those on a branch managerial level do not have to clean  toilets [we did
not, in the past, have enough $$ to have custodial staff--and  those of us in
charge used to take our turns at cleaning the rest rooms...So, if  we,
librarians have enough sense of responsibility to at least do the most awful
of jobs
<g>, then why could not the leaders of those sending people, one  after
another, to DIE...do it himself?

Is it that those in leadership positions in the military really truly (esp
then?) have no sense of the Other?  Of the fact that these people were  living
breathing people with lives, with gifts and talents which might be of  worth
in the 'regular' world, with families [one of whom might, had he or she  had a
dad at home [presuming they were dads and not moms in this death march]  been
totally together enough to come up with a cure for what ails us now but
because of the lack of a dad and/or a mom who lost it because dad didn't come
home...was not able to do and be what she/he was supposed to do/be?)

Lawrence?  A reaction, please!!  (or anyone else...)

I do understand that to obey is greater than sacrifice...but here...they  did
both and for what?  Did their slaughter, sacrifice,  submission--whatever you
might call it--end the war more quickly (which is what  I hear our veterans
during our Veterans Round Table have discussed while they  have discussed
whether or not the Atomic Bomb(s) ended WW II more quickly and  with less loss
of
life...

Puzzled,
Marlena