[lit-ideas] Re: Violence without Horror

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 02:32:17 -0400

if this is a true and recent story..

It happened a long time ago (hence the distance of "laundry, natch") when I lived in PA and owned a car. The "way into it," or what I hoped to discuss, was the experience of extreme situations, the complete absence of horror in the face of grievous catastrophe.

I mean, we're talking about film violence and the horror of violence per se, but here's a real-life experience of arriving by chance at a stretch of road littered with dead or dying people and body parts.

No horror. Shock, to be sure, and delayed reaction to the carnage. But in the experience itself, no horror. There was a disaster, things to do during the disaster, and a delayed reaction of a couple hours before I could get settled into my emotions. But there was no horror. It was more about the pity of those poor people and the buzzing of my nervous system from too much adrenaline.

Maybe we have a natural defense mechanism that engages in that kind of extreme situation, and "horror" is really a leisurely product of our imaginations, something contemplated only in the absence of extreme situations? Such as a film.

The notion is similar to what Andy and I were discussing about the imagination of pain versus real in-the-moment pain.