[lit-ideas] Re: Violence without Horror

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:48:06 -0700

we did these. all of them. bleagh.

http://www.pgathrills.com/attractions/attractions_list.cfm?rt_id=1

it's really safe. nobody has died this year on these rides.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Andreas Ramos <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 8/28/2005 2:06:15 AM

> As I wrote that, I recalled that one of the text book
> aesthetics problems is the rollercoaster. That is,
> apparently people are terrified by it and yet seem to
> enjoy themselves, which obviously begs for an
> explanation.

A few weeks ago, I spent an evening at various kinds of rollercoasters.
These are not really
roller coasters. You don't coast. Not much rolling either. You're knocked
around at all
sorts of angles to the ground and the sky.

A group wanted to do another "ride" that is somewhat like a group bungee
cord jump thing.
Three people are strapped in and dropped 100 feet face down.

I wasn't really terrified. In the rollercoasters, you just hang on and
try to keep a sense
of direction. The "ride" lasts only 34 seconds. I've been on roller
coasters, where you roll
and coast, and that's more emotionally stimulating, because it lasts
longer and you get a
better sense of the rush, the dives, and so on.

In the bungee jump thing, the feeling is just petrified. Falling 100 feet
head down takes
only a few seconds. You're just speechless with terror.

An aesthetic? Not really. The rides are far too brief and abrupt and
chaotic to be an
identifiable sensation. I didn't find any of the rides to be anything
even slightly
enjoyable. I'd do some of them again, for the novelty of the experience.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com