[lit-ideas] Re: Movies without Guns

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:51:07 -0700

John,
I agree with you all the way. Movie violence "unnerves" me, I wrote. I
didn't say I'm not "bothered" by real violence. And I agree with your
assertion that the sight of dead baby penguins in _March of the Penguins_
was disturbing, yet as you well realize, it wasn't shown in the film as
cheap shocker material. Real violence is part of life, a significant part.
But _Mr. & Mrs. Smith_ movie violence cheapens the very idea of life to the
extent that a penguin's loss of its baby (or a human's loss) doesn't seem to
matter to us. Oddly enough, we're reminded of our humanity, and experience
it despite media-induced numbness, through a documentary about penguins.
cheers,
Carol