[lit-ideas] Re: Movies without Guns

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:08:14 -0500

Carol Kirschenbaum wrote:

Does _March of the Penguins_ count? It's the only movie I've seen in a theatre for the past couple of years. Movie violence unnerves me.
Carol

REAL violence bothers me; pretend Hollywood violence that's as real as a styrofoam cup does not.

That's why I was more bothered by MARCH OF THE PENGUINS than I was bothered by MR. AND MRS. SMITH. I know the Hollywood movie is more a ballet with bullets; nobody gets hurt. But the shots of tiny dead corpses of baby penguins was real; they weren't just mock-up latex. That's what gave the Penguin move its strength; it was not afraid to show the natural world as one of incredible violence and courage in the face of such violence.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be
explained by incompetence and ignorance." ----------------------------------------------
John Wager johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx
Forest Park, IL USA