[lit-ideas] Re: Violence as Destruction of Doubt

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:15:17 -0400

Let me see if I can paraphrase this. I think there's a lot of merit to what
you're saying.  Let's take the first part of your sentence first.
Basically you're saying that we think we believe something (for example,
using a non-religious example, an overweight person might desperately want
to be thin), but deep inside it's another matter (the person is overweight
because, say, it protects them from having to be sexual or the fat serves
them in some other way).  The part deep inside is going to be the driving
force, and however much our overweight friend thinks they want to be thin,
they'll continuously sabotage their diet.  The part deep inside that runs
the show is what you're calling the infidel.  It's why so much behavior is
counterintuitive and counterproductive.

Moving into the second part of the sentence, your example in your paragraph
below illustrates what would happen if a person had no "infidel", i.e. was
instead convinced to the core of his being of his faith, say a belief in
Jesus.  Such a person will not be bothered by another person's doubt in
Jesus.  He might even feel sorry for him.  If, however, that person deep
inside has a doubt about Jesus, another's expressing a doubt will tap into
their own repressed doubt.  To avoid feeling the repressed doubt, the other
person must be eliminated.  We can't eliminate the infidel within, but we
can project him and eliminate the infidel without.

Let's try this on for size.  It's original to me (as far as I know).  We
here in this country think we're religious.  At the same time the Islamists
think they're religious.  However, no matter how religious we are, most
Americans would never consider dying for their religion, while the
Islamists do.  Therefore, they clearly love God more than we do since
they'll die for him and we won't.  That might spark a sense of doubt of our
religious conviction and fuel our need to eliminate the infidel (our
projected sense of not serving God as well as they do). Or, we have to
distance them by telling ourselves there's something wrong with them so we
don't have to face our inferior belief. There are many other variables,
such as control issues and the like, but unconscious motives certainly are
in bold face on the list.

Andy Amago