[lit-ideas] Re: Violence as Destruction of Doubt

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:59:48 -0400

"Just Published:

TOLERATING DIFFERENCE AND COPING WITH THE INFIDEL
David P. Levine

The critical, and therefore negative, quality of the doubting self appears
to us as an attack on our faith, which can alone keep us whole. When the
unfaithful self is projected onto external objects, the aggression we
attribute to it becomes their aggression directed at us, their desire to
destroy our faith.  We must now mobilize aggression to protect ourselves
against the infidel, notwithstanding the fact that the threat he poses is
the threat of connection with our own split off and disavowed faithless
selves. ..."

Utter nonsense!  How can there be faith without either the critical or
doubt?  And the move from 'projected' to 'split off and disavowed' is a
howler.  I marvel that there are people who still take this psychoanalysis
nonsense seriously.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON