[lit-ideas] Re: U.S. superlatives (was Victor Hanson in Iraq)

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:10:15 -0800

Free in a rational reasonable sense -- not in a leftist sense which wants to
give equal rights to our enemies, that favors enemies over our citizens.

This is another matter that has been addressed time and time again.  When
attacked by an enemy we treat the nationals of that enemy with deep
suspicion, incarcerating them if we doubt them sufficiently.  Bush has
fallen far short of past president who were in similar situations, namely
Lincoln, Wilson, and Roosevelt.  And yet the Leftists  whine and cry and
moan that the little he has done is far far too much.  Balderdash.  It may
or may not be enough but it isn't unwarranted given the threat.  Our enemies
don't deserve the same treatment as our citizens.  We want our citizens to
be free.  We don't want our enemies to be free to attack our citizens -- tis
loony logic to think otherwise.

Sweden and Denmark????  Since when are they major industrial nations.  The
only entity with a higher GDP is "The World" :
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2001rank.html

Election system a joke?   Are you still weeping for Gore's Loss?  Whatever
happned to Gore anyway?

What 15 or 20 countries are ahead of us in quality of life?  What is quality
of life?  I didn't know anyone could rate that.  What's the standard?  I
picked my ideal retirement situation and think I have excellent quality of
life.  Is my standard on your list?  If not, why not?

As to your final mild little shot, that I think all this is wonderful.  I
don't think so in an absolute sense, just in a comparative and potential
sense.  No nation measures up to the USA, and no nation has our potential.

Lawrence