[lit-ideas] Re: U.S. superlatives (was Victor Hanson in Iraq)

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:52:07 -0500

Ursula: more people are behind bars in the United States than in any other country

Eric: My Brazilian friends think that is a very good thing indeed. In Sao Paulo in 2000 alone, there were over 5,000 homicides. As a murder zone, this major Brazilian city has claimed more lives than the entire Intafada. My Brazilian friends are very glad to feel safe in the US, with our "terminator cops" (their phrase). They blame the near-chaotic state of their Los Angeles-sized city on a national policy outlawing abortions and on a penal system too heavily influenced by the Catholic Church.