[lit-ideas] Re: Two Cheers for Missile Defense

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 13:32:39 -0400

Andreas gives his two cents: Korea's missiles can't reach
the USA.

Eric: Hawaii and Alaska are in the US last I noticed. Plus
by the time this system is deployed, Kim Jong Il will
probably have a missile upgrade.

Andreas: One missile doesn't make a shield.

Eric: That's the old (but convincing)argument against using
missile shields to counter a Chinese nuclear attack. It does
NOT refute using a missile shield to counter a North Korean
or terrorist sortie.

"Two Cheers" of the title is a nod to EM Forster's book, and
a way of qualifying the enthusiasm, in case you hadn't
noticed. The new antimissile technology--previously
considered impossible--is now possible. No panacea but a
bump of good news.

Andreas: Real security comes through substainable, lasting
peace. Why is it that you prefer racist wars instead of peace?

Eric: Why do you prefer the lunatic "why can't we all get
along?" strategy?  It has never, ever, not once, worked
without military strength behind it, either in the form of
convincing deterrence or in the aftermath of a decisive
defeat of the enemy.

Further, to call US actions "racist" is supremely laughable
in the global context of Islamofascism and rogue states.