[lit-ideas] Re: Origins of British Jihad

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 18:51:34 +0100

SS>CONTRARY TO COMMON WISDOM, Muslim
SS> radicalism in the United Kingdom is not rooted in
SS>grievance against British, American, Israeli, or
SS>other Western policies. Nor is it a reaction to fear or
SS>prejudice by non-Muslims. It originates in a specific
SS>ideology imported to the country by two generations
SS> of Sunni Muslim radicals from Pakistan

This kind of comment's just so thoughtless and also
so ignorant; so lacking in any knowledge of what's known
about rebellion and in any real knowledge of the 7/7
bombers.  (We have accounts, including a most detailed
one that can I believe be independently corroborated, of
the 7/7 people's anger at US/UK policy and the treatment
of "Muslims" by "the West"; they showed videos,
produced leaflets, etc., about this.)

Also, the Pakistani population here has been the target of
more racism than any other.  (More here)

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/terrorism/july-dec06/pakistan_08-11.html

Monocasual explanations of radicalism are just unhelpful.

SS>British authorities could vet the appointment of clerics in
SS>mosques and it would be helpful if they replaced imported
SS>fanatics with reputable domestic scholars

Overt "vetting" is of course not on but there's certainly a need
for a new generation of Imams whose first language is British,
partly so young Muslims can relate to them, and for them
to replace imported clerics; Tariq Ramadan, who can't get into
the US so is living in Oxford, argues precisely that.

http://www.tariqramadan.com/article.php3?id_article=746&lang=en

LH>I am not clear, despite Schwartz article, on what tipped
LH> the Dobandis toward Jihad against the West.

Schwartz seems to be saying that Deobandis changed from being
peaceful

SS>In the aftermath of the Afghan war of the 1980s

-- I don't know who the "Saudi agents" are

Incidentally you (in the US) will have more information than
I do about the details of the current alleged plot as our papers
can't publish anything that might prejudice the trial (the
New York Times apparently barred UK readers from its
story about police investigations).

Judy