[lit-ideas] Re: The Strident Voice of Defeat ['a militarysolution']

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 18:49:05 -0800

Eric wrote:

Robert cites many "who agreed that there was no 'purely military'
solution to the mess in Iraq."

I cited only two; a general and the Secretary of Defense. I provided this information for Brian, who demanded that someone [p]lease provide evidence for the assertion that "the military says this war can't be won militarily."

Doesn't everyone already agree on that? Counter-terrorism always
requires diplomacy, PR, direct aid, and the rest of the kitchen sink.

I have no doubt of it, but I was not writing about counter-terrorism or kitchen fixtures. I was only responding to Brian (who cares not a whit that anybody bothered to answer him).

The "inkblot" strategy Bush is promoting has already been used
successfully on a small scale in Iraq; this new strategy -- if it's not
bungled as so much has been bungled before -- would follow the same
pattern and may well work to some degree.

Maybe, maybe not. It wasn't my purpose to get into this.

All the best,

Robert Paul
Reed College