[lit-ideas] Re: The Strident Voice of Defeat ['a militarysolution']

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 15:52:13 -0800

Robert:

If this is addressed at me, I agree with what Gates says (depending upon
what he means by "other departments of the U.S. government), but I don't
think the question is clear.  The purely military portion of the effort in
Iraq is over.  We are now in the Nation Building phase and we can't build a
nation with the just the military.  We need the military to provide security
while the nation is being built.  The security can be handled by either
military, national guard (which in Iraq's case is the military) or the
police depending upon the size of the problem.  The influx of foreigners
bent upon preventing the Iraqi government from achieving viability as well
as Sunnis who have changed their mind about becoming part of the new
government (assuming their minds were ever inclined in that direction)
presents a problem that many say the Bush administration should have
foreseen and forestalled by more troops.

Once security has been established then economic progress should be pursued.
If Iraq is to enter what Barnett terms the "Integrated Core"; then it must
be secure and willing enough to invite investment.  They have made gestures
that indicate they wish to comply with the Sharia but as Omar and others
have said, almost every Muslim nation claims to comply with the Sharia but
only the Fundamentalists claim to do that in such a way that they are
prohibited from becoming a modern nation economically  -- and even Saudi
Arabia has ways around the Sharia economic restrictions.

Lawrence