[lit-ideas] Re: The Strident Voice of Defeat ['a militarysolution']

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:43:28 -0800

Said Brian:

Demanded?  Hardly.  I asked Irene and you chose to answer, and then
you tell Eric it wasn't your purpose to get into this.  And why are
you so crabby about my not answering sooner?  I'm tending to a friend
that is recovering from surgery so I'm not at my e-mail at all times.

I understand that if you're tending to a friend you might be away from your computer every now and then. You're pretty fast on the draw most of the time though, and I assumed that having asked your peremptory question you'd be interested in an answer to it. Now that you have an answer to it you seem completely uninterested.

Try a bit to understand what people are referring to when they say things. I told Eric that I wasn't interested in whether 'counter-terrorism always requires diplomacy, PR, direct aid, and the rest of the kitchen sink.' I'm still not. What counter-terrorism does or doesn't require is one thing; whether anybody in the military believes that there is no purely military solution open to us in Iraq is another. Sorry to have confused you.

Best regards,

Robert Paul
reed.edu